• 0161 696 6235
  • Request a callback
Stephensons Solicitors LLP Banner Image

Holiday accident & injury compensation claims - accident abroad

If you have sustained injuries on holiday or as a result of an accident or illness abroad, you may be able to claim compensation. Our specialist lawyers can advise you whether you have sufficient evidence to bring such a claim. Call our holiday compensation solicitors on 01616 966 229.

Our personal injury experts deal with a number of different types of compensation claims as a result of an accident or illness abroad, including:

  • Package holiday compensation claims
  • Food poisoning claims
  • Airline accident claims
  • Cruise ship accident claims
  • Road traffic accident claims abroad
  • Food poisoning on holiday compensation 


Excellent4.6 score on Trustpilot
Rated 4.6 / 5 Based on 1912 reviews
Read all reviews

Package holiday compensation claims

We all look forward to that long-awaited holiday, but sometimes a trip may be tarnished due to an accident that has occurred. It may be that you have fallen in the hotel due to a slippery surface or tripped over due to an inadequate walkway in the hotel grounds. You may have slipped over by the side of the swimming pool or contracted an illness from being in the pool.

If you have been injured and your trip was booked as a ‘package holiday’, you may be able to claim compensation from the tour operator in the UK. 

In order to succeed with the claim, you would need to establish that the accident was the fault of the travel company, holiday provider or their representative. Our holiday accident solicitors would be able to advise you on this and guide you through the entire claims process.

If you have been injured as a result of an accident on holiday, please get in touch and we will be more than happy to advise you with regards to your potential claim, call us on 01616 966 229 for free initial guidance on your options.

How to claim holiday compensation?

The first step to claiming holiday compensation is to contact us and tell us your story. If you do have a claim, we will need to gather evidence to prove that either your contract was breached, or your injury was the fault of the tour operator. When you book a package holiday, the tour operator is responsible for all services given as part of the package.

One thing to take into consideration is that you have a duty to report any complaints or issues at the time. If you didn't complain straight away when an issue arose, then you may not receive any compensation.

Holiday food poisoning compensation claims

A bout of food poisoning can spoil any holiday. Whether you have been on a cruise, an all-inclusive package holiday or eaten in your hotel, food poisoning can happen, even in the most reputable of establishments. Wherever you are in the world, those who serve food to the public have a duty to ensure that they follow health and safety procedures properly. If you have suffered from food poisoning while on holiday, contact us today on 01616 966 229.

Food poisoning is one of the most common causes of illness on holiday. Tour operators have a responsibility to their customers to ensure that the hotels, cruise ships, excursions and other venues that are part of a package holiday follow food safety standards. If one of these establishments is not up to scratch, then the tour operator could be held liable for your illness and you may be able to claim compensation.

Food poisoning can cause anything from mild discomfort to serious illness. Contaminated food can cause the following conditions:

  • Salmonella
  • E.coli
  • Listeria
  • Gastroenteritis
  • Norovirus
  • Campylobacter
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
  • Cryptosporidium
  • Giardia

Holiday food claims

Claiming holiday compensation for food poisoning can seem like a complex and daunting prospect. However, our friendly food poisoning solicitors can help you handle your case. We're experts in our field and we have a deep knowledge of the law surrounding food poisoning abroad claims and can deal with companies located overseas as well as tour operators from the UK.

If your trip was a package holiday booked with a tour operator, travel agent or cruise company in the UK, then we may be able to deal with the compensation claim within the England and Wales jurisdiction. However, in some cases, liability may lie with a company based abroad. In such a situation proving fault is extremely difficult and complex and such claims take considerably longer. They are difficult to win,  but it may be possible to claim compensation.  We would assess the claim and determine whether we could assist.

How to claim food poisoning compensation?

The first step to claiming holiday food poisoning compensation is to contact us on 01616 966 229 or complete our online enquiry form. If we think you have a claim, then the next step is to prove that the tour operator or proprietor was at fault. One thing to take into consideration is that you have a duty to report your complaint to the tour operator, hotel or representative straight away. In some countries, compensation will not be awarded if a complaint was not made at the time. Once we have the evidence we need, then we can make a claim for compensation.

A holiday food poisoning compensation claim can only be made if you have suffered loss or harm due to contracting some form of food poisoning.

How much compensation for holiday food poisoning?

The level of compensation you will get for holiday food poisoning will depend on your unique circumstances and the level of suffering and loss involved. Generally, compensation is calculated with the following in mind:

  • Level of illness and any ongoing issues
  • Out of pocket expenses
  • Loss of enjoyment

If you need legal advice after being taken ill due to food poisoning while holidaying abroad, contact Stephensons' no win no fee solicitors today.

Vacationing compensation: had an accident in England or Wales?

Many tourists from across the world vacation in the UK every year taking in the sights of this diverse set of islands.

It may be that during your UK holiday, you've been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault. Whether it be a road collision or a slip or trip in a public place, if you have sustained a personal injury as a result and you can prove that the accident has been caused by the negligence of a third party residing in England or Wales, then you may have a claim.

The fact that you live in a different country does not need to prevent you from utilising our services.

If you believe you may have a claim, please do not hesitate to us on 01616 966 229 or message us at any time here and we will be more than happy to assist.

“Thank you for all your assistance, this was indeed a long journey with many obstacles, including global shut downs for covid. I appreciate your sticking with it and getting across the finish line." - View from a satisfied client

Airline accident claims

The aviation industry has very high standards of safety and large-scale accidents are thankfully, very rare; however, there are occasions when smaller accidents do occur and an injury is caused. These incidents may happen when an individual is on the aircraft or when embarking or disembarking. For example, an injury may have occurred in one of the following ways:

  • Luggage falling from overhead lockers that have not been adequately secured
  • Hot drinks spilt causing scalding injuries
  • Slips, trips or falls inside the aircraft

If you have suffered an accident that wasn’t your fault while on or around an aircraft, you may be entitled to compensation. Unlike many personal injury claims, airline accident claims need to be pursued within a two-years from the date of disembarkation.

Our airline accident compensation solicitors can help you make a claim if you have suffered an injury due to negligence by an airline company. Our experienced solicitors have extensive knowledge of airline accident claims. We can work on a no win no fee basis and aim to minimise the stress and hassle caused by the situation. Call our airline accident solicitors on 01616 966 229.

Recent airline claim settlement

  • Our client was injured when the plane performed an emergency landing shortly after take off, they suffered soft tissue injuries to their neck and shoulders, the claim settled in sum of £1,500.
  • Pauline Smith recently settled a case at trial for a claimant who had sustained injury due to receiving a burn injury during a flight. The claimant was travelling home from holiday when they asked for a hot drink from a member of the flight crew. This was provided in a disposable cup with a lid on. As the claimant went to take a drink from the cup, the plastic top, which was unsecured, came off and the liquid spilt onto the client’s stomach, groin and thigh, causing burn injuries.

    The claimant was left with minor permanent scarring and altered pigmentation in the areas of the burn. After a hard-fought case, in which liability was denied by the defendant, the matter went to trial where the judge found in favour of the claimant.  They were awarded a compensation amount of almost £10,000.

Cruise ship compensation claims

A cruise holiday is very often viewed as a ‘once in a lifetime' trip, but that holiday may be spoiled if an accident has occurred whilst on board the liner or while getting on or off the vessel.

It is not uncommon for individuals to have suffered an injury in any one of the following ways:

  • Slipping or tripping due to spillages or uneven surfaces
  • Falling objects

Given the close proximity in which people travel on board a cruise ship, it is possible for illnesses to occur and spread amongst those on board. Illness may also spread due to poor hygiene on the ship or it may be due to food poisoning.

Dependent on the law that applies, there are some cases where the limitation period for pursuing a claim is only two years. Therefore, it is important to act quickly.

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer a cruise ship injury or food poisoning whilst on board, please call our cruise ship compensation solicitors on 01616 966 229.

Road traffic accident abroad – Europe

If you have been a victim of a road traffic accident in Europe, then you may be able to make a claim for compensation if you have suffered an injury or damage as a result. It may come as a surprise to many, that if a road traffic accident happened to you in another European country, it may be possible to claim compensation – so long as you were not at fault. However, it is important to be aware that different jurisdictions have their own requirements when dealing with personal injury claims. For instance:

  • Most European countries will ask that a Constat Amiable is produced. This is an agreed statement of facts that must be completed and signed by both parties. The form can easily be obtained from here. It is worth printing this off and keeping in your glove box in the event of an accident
  • It is also useful to take a photograph of the vehicle that has caused the accident making sure that the registration is shown
  • Photographs of the negligent motorist’s licence documents are very important too

In terms of injuries, it is crucial that you seek medical advice/treatment as soon as you possibly can after the accident as this is a requirement. There are some countries, such as Spain, who can refuse to deal with your claim for soft tissue injuries if you have not sought medical treatment within the first 72 hours of the accident. So, don’t delay as it could prevent you from successfully claiming.

Time limits also vary depending on where the incident occurred. For example, in France you have as long as 10 years to claim yet in Spain, the applicable period is only one year.

If you have had an accident while travelling in Europe, our specialist solicitors could help you successfully obtain compensation. Please call us on 01616 966 229.

Recent holiday compensation claim settlements

  • Our client trapped her finger in a door whilst on holiday in Cyprus as she walking out from the hotel door. Liability was firmly denied. She suffered a moderate hand injury and the defendant accepted the claimant’s part 36 offer of £4,000 one day before a two day trial was listed to be heard.
  • Our client slipped on wet floor when walking out from a restaurant in her hotel resort whilst on holiday in Mexico. They suffered soft tissue injuries and liability was firmly denied by the defendant. The claim proceeded to a trial and we successfully won the judgement in our clients favour and damages of £12,500 were awarded  

loading staff

Is your employer doing enough to protect you from harm?

The Health and Safety Executive regularly publish press releases which focus on the outcome of prosecutions of firms whose employees are injured or even killed whilst simply going about their day to day jobs. The headlines of these articles are shocking,...

Read more

Staying safe at work during the winter

It is no surprise that slips and falls increase significantly in the workplace over the autumn and winter months.  The days are shorter and people are going to and leaving work in the dark and as the weather deteriorates, ice and snow can cause...

Read more
  • Louise Griffiths
  • ​Danielle Callaway
  • Robert Donlan
  • ​Rebecca Dawber
  • ​Pauline Smith
  • ​Shahina Sakeria​
  • Katie Plappert
  • Stephen Collins
  • Toni Lowery
  • Andrew Dunne
  • Subiha Khezar