Stephensons Trustpilot stars
Based on count 941
View all reviews

Separation agreement solicitors

Our family law solicitors are able to advise and assist should you wish to draw up a separation agreement. Speak to our experts on 01616 966 229 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will contact you to discuss a separation agreement.

A separation agreement is normally drafted to reflect the terms of any settlement or agreement reached on the breakdown of a relationship. A separation agreement is legally binding. This means that should one of the parties involved in the agreement refuse to keep to the terms following its signature it can be enforced through the courts.

loading staff

Why make a separation agreement?

Separation agreements are advantageous to both parties as they will normally stop one of the parties from later changing their minds about an agreement that has been reached. A separation agreement therefore safeguards your position as if one of you later refuses to keep to the terms of the agreement you can take the agreement to a court and request the court to enforce the terms. Enforcement means that the court will take steps to ensure that the agreement is adhered to by the other party. This is because effectively the other party has ‘breached the contract’ between you. Remedies could include damages (cash payment), payment of your legal fees as well as the terms of the agreement being complied with.

Many people choose separation agreements to reflect the terms of settlement rather than to proceed through the courts. A separation agreement is a cheaper and equally effective alternative to court action.

Separation agreements can be drafted to represent the position between anyone. Our specialist solicitors have drafted various separation agreements to reflect arrangements reached between ex-partners, family members and friends following the breakdown of a relationship. Separation agreements can include details on disposing of property, furniture, loans, bank accounts and any other assets. Many agreements also include financial arrangements made between the parties.

Should you require further advice in relation to separation agreements and whether this will suit your needs or if you require an agreement drafting please do not hesitate to contact our specialist team who will be able to assist you. 

4.7out of 10
4.7 score on Trustpilot Based on count 941

We're Great

It is our business to deliver legal services that work for our clients, and you can trust our specialists to take care of things on your behalf.

Our Trustpilot reviews

DIY family law - should I represent myself?

Accessing legal advice or representation can be costly. It is important that you have access to legal advice before you consider how to resolve a dispute in relation to a family matter. Access to legal aid is now available in only limited circumstances...

Read more

Twitter block 1 tweet


HSE inspecting businesses for COVID-secure measures

The recent spike in coronavirus cases in the North West has seen the HSE taking action by visiting businesses in Blackburn and surrounding areas to ensure they are COVID-secure.  The inspectors are working alongside local public health authorities and...

Read more

Family reorder

  • Victoria Gethin​
  • ​Karen Atkins
  • ​​Gwyneth John​
  • Amanda Rimmer​
  • Lauren Day
  • ​Tim Galbraith
  • Kath Geere​​
  • Jackie Price
  • Rachel Benett
  • Nicola Clayton
  • Catherine Gaskell​
  • Emma Roberts
  • Laura Simmons
  • Bethany Corday​
  • Lauren Evans
  • ​Hanna Fayle​​
  • Jade Bastien
  • Harriet Ledger
  • Joanna Souter
  • Hannah Mallin
  • Claire Pilling