Goods can be seized by HMRC or Border Force under Section 139 of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979 when there has been a breach of customs law, for example, if the goods being imported are misdeclared. Once seized, the owner of the goods will be...
Stephensons has a team of specialist regulatory lawyers who act for commercial and professional clients across a number of sectors including education, financial services, healthcare, professional services, social care and transport and logistics.
Our team acts for clients across the UK and internationally and a number of our lawyers are recommended in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. We work closely with a number of insurers and the firm’s commercial teams to provide specialist representation to a wide range of regulated businesses and individuals.
We have extensive experience of advising clients facing enforcement action by regulators, defending clients facing disciplinary hearings and advising clients facing criminal investigations. We understand that the prospect of regulatory action can have serious implications for the survival of a business or for a professional’s practice and we recognise the need for urgent, specialist advice from expert lawyers.
Our experience includes advising on the following areas:
- Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulation and compliance
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) investigations
- Environmental law
- Food safety and hygiene
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) investigations and enforcement
- Health and safety investigations
- Houses in multiple occupation
- Licensing - compliance and enforcement
- Ofsted regulation and compliance
- Professional discipline and regulation
- Road transport regulation and operator licensing
- Road traffic offences
- Seizures by Border Force and HMRC
- Sports law
- Trading standards investigations and prosecutions