• 01616 966 229
  • Request a callback
Stephensons Solicitors LLP Banner Image

News and Events

What do I do if I suffer an injury while on holiday abroad?

  • Posted
Sun Awareness 2018 - 14th-20th May

It’s coming around to the time of year when people are going away for their holidays, whether on a city break or a beach holiday. This is the time people take to have a break from reality and enjoy their time away with friends and family. Unfortunately, accidents whilst on holiday can happen and this can result in you becoming ill or injured. If this happens to you, you should, wherever possible, take steps to seek appropriate medical attention, report your accident to your tour operator, investigate the cause of your injury, and seek legal advice if necessary.

Holiday tour operators have a legal ‘duty of care’ to their customers. This means that they have a legal obligation to provide you with a safe and healthy environment when using their facilities and services. If you suffer from a slip, trip or fall, a sporting accident or an accident whilst on an excursion, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

In the event that you do suffer from an accident abroad, you should take the following steps, if possible, to ensure that you are able to fully evidence a claim.

Seek appropriate medical attention

If the accident happened within your hotel, you should find the onsite doctor if there is one available. If not you should make your way to the nearest hospital, doctors or pharmacy depending on the severity of your injury. You should always prioritise your health and get the medical attention that you need in proportion to the seriousness of your injury.

Contact your travel insurance provider

If you are required to go to a local hospital or seek a local doctor’s attention that you should consider contacting your travel insurance provider to ensure any medical fees that you incur will be covered.

Report the accident

Following an accident, it is important for you to report the accident to the hotel manager and/or tour operator to ensure that the accident is correctly logged.

Take photographs and videos of the accident location

Taking photos and videos of the hazard that caused your accident can really assist your claim as it may not be possible to go back to the location of the accident once you return back to the UK. Any videos and photos should include a date and time stamp if possible.


Get the contact details of any potential witnesses who are in agreement that they will help you if you choose to pursue a claim. The more witnesses you can find who either witnessed your accident or who may have experienced the same type of accident at the accident location the better.

Proof of expenses

Make sure you keep receipts for any financial expenses you may incur as a result of your accident abroad. You may be able to claim these back at a later date.

Take photographs of your injury

Make sure you take photographs of your injury throughout the recovery period; these will assist you later in making a claim.

Providing the evidence noted above you will significantly increase your chances of your claim being successful and will enable you to be compensated for your injuries and any other expenses you may have incurred.

Get in touch with us

Following an accident abroad you should get in touch with our expert personal injury team in order for you to obtain legal advice on what you should do next. We will be able to assess whether your claim has prospects of success.

Have you ever considered making a no win no fee claim? No win no fee means that you get the same incredible service that any other client will get, however, you only pay your solicitors fees if you win.

If you have been injured as a result of an accident abroad then our personal injury claim specialists are here to help. To speak to a member of the team please call us on 0161 696 6235 or complete our online enquiry form and we will contact you directly.

By Millie Wilde, graduate paralegal