Services
People
News and Events
Other
Blogs

Gas installations: The dangers of rogue traders & negligent landlords

View profile for Kate Sweeney
  • Posted
  • Author
Some 100,000 homes were left with illegal and dangerous gas work during the past year, a report in The Mirror has revealed. According to the Gas Safe Register the Mirror said, as many as one in seven homes was said to be ‘immediately dangerous’ and in need of urgent disconnection of appliances to avoid an explosion, leak, fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.
 
Worryingly, all these were cases where ­homeowners had left their project to a builder or contractor and they assumed the official checks would be part and parcel of the service.
 
Lincolnshire HSE prosecution
 
In Lincolnshire, an unregistered gas installation company illegally carried out work and put homeowners at risk. Many complaints were received about the work the company undertook including one couple who faced a bill of hundreds of pounds when their boiler was condemned.
 
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted for breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and UK Oil and Gas Limited of Sleaford were charged with breaching three sections of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
 
Bogus East London gas fitter
 
In Hackney, east London, a tradesman who falsely said he was a registered gas engineer was fined £8,000. He replaced a gas boiler at the Castle Climbing Centre and stated he was CORGI registered but the centre later found out he was not a qualified or registered engineer.
 
The worrying thing with cases like these is that people could easily be injured, or even tragically killed, if something goes wrong due to a faulty installation. Explosions, fires, dangerous emissions, burns: all risks people face when their gas appliances are not properly installed.
 
Who is to blame for faulty gas installations?
 
Blame can be laid at the door of the tradesperson who claims to be qualified, but is not. But it depends on who hired that tradesperson. If the resident is a tenant, then their landlord could be cited as negligent. Landlords have strict duties to adhere to health and safety legislation and ensure all gas work on their properties is carried out under the correct criteria.
 
If you have been injured in an accident caused by a faulty gas installation in your property, whether you own that property or are a tenant, you could be in line for a compensation award.
 
Ascertaining who is to blame is the first step, and gathering robust evidence is crucial. An injury claims solicitor with specific experience in pursuing claims against rogue traders or landlords should be engaged as they’ll offer the best chance of recovering the maximum level of compensation appropriate to the injuries and damages sustained.
 
Stephensons’ personal injury claims solicitors have specialist experience in pursuing claims on behalf of tenants and homeowners against landlords and tradesmen. Our expertise in uncovering vital evidence and resolution in bringing rogue traders to justice is unmatched. For confidential advice and to arrange a free initial consultation, call us on 0844 245 6601.
 
By personal injury solicitor, Kate Sweeney
 

Comments