Gifting property - deed of gift

People choose to gift property for many reasons: to plan their estate, to see their families benefit during their own lifetime rather than after they have passed away, to reduce inheritance tax. People gift all sorts of assets: money, valuables, their house.

To speak to a member of our Wills and probate team about gifting property please call us on 0203 837 3658 or complete our online enquiry form and we'll contact you directly.

Giving away your home or a share in it is a very big step to take. You won't own your home outright any more. We can help and advise you on the implications of gifting property.

loading staff

    Gifting property FAQs

    Can I still live in my property once I have gifted it?

    The short answer is yes. However you will need to pay rent to your children if you still want to live in the property. By gifting your property to your children, they effectively become your landlord. As long as you pay rent which is market rate for the property, your home will not count towards your estate when you die.

    Paying rent to your children might seem odd to a parent. However, if you plan on leaving your estate to your children in any event, then this may be best thought of as money they would have eventually received regardless. 

    Can I put the house in joint names?

    Yes and it will give you more security if you did as you would continue to be a legal owner of your home.

    Will gifting property work to reduce my estate for inheritance tax?

    If you carry on living in your home after you have put it in someone else's name and you don't effectively pay that person for your use of the home then it is unlikely to work for inheritance tax purposes. In the event of your death, you may be treated as still owning the home and therefore it will be subject to inheritance tax on your estate.

    There are ways in which you can gift your home to reduce your estate for inheritance tax purposes although this may well involve paying for the continued use. We can advise you on the appropriate options if you are thinking of gifting your home to plan to reduce inheritance tax. Calculate your potential IHT with our inheritance tax calculator.

    Will it work to avoid future care home fees?

    Going to live in residential care may arise at some time in the future. The normal rule if you move into residential care is that your house is included as part of your capital and any fees payable would be assessed on that basis, which usually will require the property to be sold and the proceeds to be used towards payment of the fees.

    We cannot say that gifting property would be effective in avoiding the sale of the property for the payment of residential care fees, previous client of Stephensons have been told that the local authorities disregard any deed of gift unless it was completed more than five years previously. Certainly there is statutory provision that if the deed is completed less then six months before the donor of the property goes into residential care a charge can be registered against the property so any fees can be recovered when the property is eventually sold. The most important point for the local authority in deciding whether or not the property remains part of your capital for assessment of your contribution to residential care fees is the intention behind the gift at the time it was made.

    Will I have to pay capital gains tax?

    If you own your home outright and it is your only home then there will be no capital gains tax to pay as a result of your gift. If it is a second home though capital gains tax may be payable.

    Are there any risks for me with gifting property?

    There are risks. The person(s) receiving it could get divorced, be declared bankrupt or die. If so, your home would actually be their assets. You wouldn't be able to control what happened to their property even though you may be living in it. There could be risks for the person receiving the property. Putting your house in someone else's name could limit their entitlement to means-tested benefits. It could mean that they have to pay capital gains tax in the future if they ever sold the house and were not actually living in it because they had a home of their own. Always seek legal advice before deciding whether gifting your home is right for you. While such a big decision will always be yours to make, we can give you the all advice you need to help you.

    Getting advice

    A property is a huge asset to gift and it is of the upmost importance that it is done correctly, to protect both you and your children. The process can easily go wrong if not administered by a professional. Before making any decisions on your property, you should speak to a qualified legal expert.

    Make sure that any solicitor you appoint has the relevant experience in helping families arrange for their home to be inherited and looked after as they so wish. Getting the right advice on how best to handle your property will mean the right procedures are followed and make sure it is gifted legally and properly, with minimal upheaval for you and your family. 

    If you would like to speak to a member of our Wills and probate law team in relation to gifting property, call us on 0203 837 3658, alternatively complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will contact you to discuss your requirements.

    Areas of specialism

    • Gifting of property not subject to mortgage
    • Preparing agreements about ownership of interests in property
    9.3 out of 10
    Trustpilot logo5-stars on trustpilot Based on count 551

    We're Great

    It is our business to deliver legal services that work for our clients, and you can trust our specialists to take care of things on your behalf.

    Our Trustpilot reviews

    I lost my best friend and Stephensons helped me through this very tough period of being the executor. I found them to be extremely helpful and efficient. They told me exactly how the process would work step by step. They never failed to answer any of the many emails I sent. I felt very fortunate to have had them working for me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.
    View from a Will writing & probate law client

    Writing my first Will at 21 years old and why its time to update it already - Will drafting for the younger generation

    There are many things that we young adults consider important at our age, and also many things that we consider are problems to deal with later in life. As an 18 year old beginning a career in law, I was certain that making a Will would not be of any...

    Read more

    Wills and Probate Twitter Block

    Asbestos risk to children and staff in more than 5,000 English primary schools

    Schools are failing to publicly report asbestos in their buildings putting thousands of children and staff at risk from asbestos related illnesses, reveals national law firm. A Freedom of Information (FOI) request by Stephensons Solicitors LLP to the...

    Read more

    Wills & probate staff reorder

    • Jill Rushton​
    • Nicola Mawson
    • Claire Booth
    • Rachelle Nuttall
    • Adam Sym
    • Terri Meehan​
    • Gillian Cooke
    • Sophie Holmes
    • Rachel Haywood

    We're always here for you

    As an award-winning top 150 law firm, with over 450 staff based in offices across the country, you're never far from the advice you need.

    Find your nearest Stephensons office and arrange a meeting

    As an award-winning top 150 law firm, with over 450 staff based in offices across the country, you're never far from the advice you need.