How we help
Alternative dispute resolution enables you to discuss and settle disputes outside of court.
Whether conducted face-to-face or individually, our unbiased, qualified mediators will guide negotiations, ensuring that all parties continue to work towards a satisfactory and confidential conclusion, protecting you commercially and reputationally.
Civil Procedure Rules now require parties to access mediation prior to taking a claim of any nature to court; it’s quicker, cheaper and relieves both parties of the stress of pursuing a claim. Handled professionally, mediation is also highly effective; 80% of cases managed by Stephensons’ mediators are settled or settled shortly afterwards.
Our team of expert mediators will help you to maintain your relationships whilst working towards real solutions backed by technical expertise.
Our team conducts alternative dispute resolution services including:
- Mediation: the parties agree a solution themselves, guided by an expert mediator
- Adjudication: a more formal process, the parties are bound by the independent third party’s decisions which can be enforced through the courts
- Arbitration: similar to adjudication but addressing only a single issue, an independent expert assesses the dispute and reaches an enforceable decision
- Expert determination: resolving technical, rather than legal, issues, the decision of an independent expert may be legally binding where the parties agree
- Less formal methods of negotiation: less structured discussion can often be effective, enabling parties to talk freely and reach a resolution themselves
Stephensons provide independent mediators for businesses involved in any nature of dispute.
Fully qualified and accredited, the team uses expert knowledge of multiple sectors and practice areas to guide parties towards commercially sensible solutions, maintaining confidentiality and controlling reputation and cost.
"Following the recommendation of Stephensons to BD Recruitment Ltd, we instructed Alistair Gregory to act on our behalf in taking legal proceedings against debtors. The matter was resolved before reaching court. I found Stephensons to be swift and efficient, and would be confident of using them again for other legal issues.” - Chris Crawford, Managing Director, BD Recruitment Ltd (Technical & Creative Recruitment Consultancy) bdrecruitment.com