• 01616 966 229
  • Request a callback
Stephensons Solicitors LLP Banner Image

News and Events

Have you been injured at work?

  • Posted
I had an accident at work but it happened elsewhere - can I still claim?

If you have been injured at work, you may be entitled to compensation. If your employer has been negligent and this has caused you an injury, then you are able to make a personal injury claim.  

We understand that it can be daunting to make a claim while you are still working for your employer, but they should hold appropriate insurance to cover them for these situations, as it is a legal requirement for most employers. Not only are you entitled to compensation for your injuries, but you may also need to consider claiming for any losses you incur as a result, such as lost earnings and other expenses.

No matter what industry you work in, your employer has a duty of care to provide a safe working environment, including ensuring you have the correct training, providing personal protective equipment (PPE) where appropriate, and carrying out risk assessments.

Although accidents at work are more likely to happen in areas such as farming/agriculture, construction or when manual handling is involved, we see a wide range of injuries from all different sectors. Your employer could be found liable for your injury for many different reasons, such as:

  • Failing to provide adequate training
  • Failing to provide the correct personal protective equipment (PPE)
  • Failing to carry out or adhere to risk assessments
  • Failing to act on concerns reported by employees
  • Failing to ensure the workplace is safe and free of hazards
  • Failing to maintain machinery
  • Failing to provide working equipment
  • Failing to keep access and egress routes safe

If you have an accident at work, we would recommend that you seek medical attention immediately. There should be an appointed first aider who can assist you. As soon as you are able, ensure that the incident is recorded in the accident book and make your manager aware. In some cases, accidents need to be reported to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE). Take photographs of the cause of your injury and of your injury itself as these can be used to support your claim. If there were any witnesses ensure you take their details and, if possible, gather statements.

If you, or someone you know has been injured at work and you would like to discuss a potential personal injury claim please contact our specialist personal injury team on 0161 696 6235 for further help and advice.

By Donna Wilkes, new business advisor