My family and I braved the wet weather on Friday evening and thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic firework display put on by Bolton Council at Leverhulme Park.
However, I read today that emergency crews in our region have worked tremendously hard over the bonfire weekend after a record number of calls were made to the emergency services and several incidents have been reported involving fireworks across the region. There have been reports of serious injuries sustained to both residents and emergency crews.
A 12 month old baby in Daubill, Bolton was very badly injured when a lit firework had fallen over and discharged horizontally, hitting the baby.
In Sale, a nine year old boy has been treated for severe burns. A spokesman for the fire service has reportedly said: "The injury is thought to have happened when a firework the boy was holding exploded - damaging his hand. The boy was taken to hospital for treatment."
Fire fighters called to a bonfire in Great Lever, Bolton had a lit firework thrown at them and, in Farnworth, a man fell into a bonfire suffering severe burns to his legs, arms and hands. Witnesses have reportedly said that the man had been drinking and may have run into the flames.
Fireworks are extremely dangerous and often user error and failing to keep a safe distance away can cause risk of serious and life threatening injuries. However, some fireworks are sold and distributed illegally in the UK or fall foul of the Firework Regulations 2004 putting lives at risk.
For those who have been unlucky enough to have neighbours setting off fireworks at all hours of the night this weekend, you will be pleased to know that it is now prohibited to set off fireworks between the hours of 11 pm and ending at 7 am until 11 pm on 31st December.
If you have been hurt or injured after a firework display then speak to us, 01616 966 229.
By personal injury solicitor, Jennifer Holt