If you require legal advice on a particular issue do you just instruct the “family solicitor” who has acted for you for many years? How do you know whether this is the right solicitor to use? To ensure you instruct the right solicitor for the job you want, here are a few useful tips:
- Research the area of law your case involves. Not every firm of solicitors specialises in all areas of law.
- Consult the Legal 500 directory which provides useful information on solicitors who specialise in a particular area of law.
- Search the internet and look at the website of the solicitor’s practice you wish to instruct.
- How much will it cost? Ensure you get detailed information on costs and an estimate for the total case before you commit and agree to the solicitors terms and conditions.
- Check whether you have any legal expenses insurance which will cover you for legal costs. This is often attached to your home insurance or through your bank.
- Some firms offer low rate fixed fees for initial consultations. This can be a useful tool in choosing the right solicitor.
Choosing the wrong solicitor can have drastic consequences in your case. If you feel your solicitor has not advised you correctly and wish to enquire about a professional negligence claim contact our dispute resolution team who have specialists in professional negligence claims to help you.