- More than 30,500 patients developed blood clots
- More than 13,000 women were recorded as experiencing a tear during child birth, this can often lead to incontinence and the need for further surgery
- More than 10,000 suffered an accidental puncture or laceration
- Approximately, 6,000 patients were recorded as having pressure sores
- More than 2,000 suffered from post operative intestinal bleeding
- More than 1,300 suffered post operative sepsis
- There were 56 incidents of “wrong site surgery”
- There were 150 recorded “foreign objects” left inside a patient following surgery
Hospital Guide 2010 - What makes a good hospital?
- AuthorJudith Thomas-Whittingham
The Dr Foster Hospital Guide has now been published. The aim of the guide was to ‘put more information – and power – into the hands of the patient, and the public, by giving them an independent view on where the healthcare was working and where it was not.’
The guide acknowledges that ‘preventing people from dying, due to illness or disease, is perhaps the most fundamental aim of healthcare.’ It is therefore alarming that the overall death rate in nineteen hospital trusts was unusually high. In addition, four trust were identified as having a higher than expected number of deaths following surgery.
The guide also raises concerns about patient safety. Across the 147 hospital trusts, 62,000 accidents, mistakes or avoidable complications were recorded; however, as many incidents often go unrecorded the true number is likely to be even higher. Specifically, the following findings were made:
The Health Secretary, Andrew Lansley, has acknowledged that unsafe care cannot be tolerated. He comments that “patients have a right to expect the very best care from the NHS and, when something goes wrong, hospitals have a duty to report it and make sure that others can learn from their mistake."
The guide clearly raises serious concerns about the level of care many patients have received, and indeed continue to receive. If you believe the treatment you have received is also below a reasonable standard then we have a dedicated team of clinical negligence solicitors who would be happy to advise you further. Call us for free initial advice on 0844 245 6602.
By clinical negligence solicitor, Tom Mooney