Carl is a Partner and heads the firm’s regulatory department. The department acts for commercial and professional clients across a number of sectors including education, financial services, healthcare, professional services, social care and transport and logistics.
Carl specialises in professional discipline and regulation. He advises and defends doctors, dentists, pharmacists, chartered accountants and teachers facing regulatory action. Carl has extensive experience of dealing with the most serious aspects of professional regulation including dishonesty, financial misconduct, sexual misconduct, serious clinical incidents, serious breaches of professional standards and criminal convictions.
Carl regularly deals with cases brought by a number of regulators and professional bodies, including:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- General Dental Council (GDC)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
- Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA)
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Carl is a member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL)
What others say
Chambers & Partners
"He provides realistic and commercial advice and has an eye for detail."
"Carl Johnson of Stephensons is recognised for his "business-minded" approach to his multifaceted practice. He is considered a "driving force" in the regulatory sphere, regularly acting for teachers, accountants and a full range of healthcare professionals."
“Extremely client friendly’ and ‘gets to grips with a case swiftly”
"Carl Johnson is the practice head and is a tough but sensible lawyer who puts his clients first."