Stephensons Trustpilot stars
Based on count 1445
View all reviews

Grandparents rights

If you have grandchildren, the breakdown of a marriage or relationship between parents can cause significant stress and emotional anxiety especially when it comes to retaining contact with your grandchildren. In the UK, grandparent’s rights are limited, and often parental responsibility is limited to parents, but you can still apply for a contact order (more recently known as a “child arrangements order”) in certain circumstances.

Our highly experienced legal team are always on hand to offer advice and support in relation to your rights to see your grandchildren.


loading staff

Apply for contact to see grandchildren

If you would like to apply for a contact order to see your grandchildren, you need to seek the court’s permission to apply for such an order (sometimes known as leave to apply) and the following will be considered by the court:

1. Your connection with the child/children

2.  The nature of the application for contact

The first, will investigate the amount of time you previously spent with your grandchildren and whether having no contact will affect them negatively. For instance, if you previously spent a lot of time looking after your grandchildren or you have played a big role in their lives so far, this may strengthen your case for contact.

The second will allow the court to identify any potential concerns that you have for the welfare of your grandchildren as well as outline your initial intentions and wishes.

If successful, you will be able to apply for a child arrangements order to see your grandchildren. However, if your application is disputed by one or both parents, you may have to attend a full hearing and provide evidence.

The court will always investigate the child or children’s circumstances and will make a final decision based on what is best for them.

Cases that involve children can be complex and it is important to seek the right legal professional help before pursuing a contact order. Our highly experienced legal team will be more than happy to offer legal advice and support so feel free to contact us now.

Call our specialist family law team on 01616 966 229 or complete our online enquiry form and we will contact you to discuss your situation.

4.5out of 10
4.5 score on Trustpilot Based on count 1445

We're Great

It is our business to deliver legal services that work for our clients, and you can trust our specialists to take care of things on your behalf.

Our Trustpilot reviews

Child contact arrangements at Christmas

Christmas is considered by many as a special time of the year, dedicated to spending quality time with family and friends. As this period approaches, it is important to think about where and how children will spend the festive season. With that in mind,...

Read more

Twitter block 1 tweet


Primary school application deadline - why 'bending the rules' could spell trouble

The deadline for primary school admissions for the school year commencing in September 2022 will expire on the 15th January. A recent survey suggests 1 in 4 parents have ‘bent the rules’ to get their children into a better school. With the...

Read more
  • Victoria Gethin​
  • ​Karen Atkins
  • ​​Gwyneth John​
  • Amanda Rimmer​
  • Lauren Day
  • ​Tim Galbraith
  • Kath Geere​​
  • Jackie Price
  • Rachel Benett
  • Nicola Clayton
  • Catherine Gaskell​
  • Emma Roberts
  • Laura Simmons
  • Lorraine Baldwin
  • Bethany Corday​
  • Lauren Evans
  • ​Hanna Fayle
  • Amy Jones
  • Victoria Melluish​​
  • Hannah Mallin
  • Claire Pilling
  • Benjamin Armstrong
  • Jessica Macaulay