Stephen began his career with Stephensons in 2012 and went on to secure a training contract with the firm in 2015. Stephen qualified in 2017 and works in the commercial employment team in Wigan advising litigants in relation to the following:
- Bringing and defending a wide range of claims for unfair dismissal, including claims relating to redundancy, alleged gross misconduct, “whistle-blowing” and ill health or performance;
- Presiding over large scale group claims/class actions to recover outstanding wages and compensation for claimants.
- Providing guidance to employees undergoing disciplinary and grievance procedures;
- Recovering unpaid wages for clients through the Tribunal, enforcement action or the insolvency service; and
- Advising employees and workers who have been unfairly treated, discriminated against, harassed or victimised in the workplace.
Stephen offers specialist advice to employees on termination/settlement agreements. He also provides ongoing HR support to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) through our Workplace Plus package.
He regularly assists clients funded through a legal expenses policy, undertaking assessments of the merits of a case for both employees and employers in the employment tribunal. Stephen also offers flexible funding to his clients under damages based agreement (similar to “no win fee”). He is supervised by Philip Richardson.
1. Stephen recently represented a North West business in a claim which it faced against a longstanding employee. From the outset, he explained to our client that there was risk in this case due to the heavy handed nature of the manager’s conduct towards the claimant who worked for the business for over 20 years. Our primary role was to limit the damage caused and to criticise the claimant’s conduct arising out of the exchanges with management. In doing this we were able to achieve a positive result for the client, reducing the value of the claimant’s award by half.
2. Stephen represented 37 claimants as part of a group action to recover wages and compensation from their former employer. The employer ran into financial difficulty and was looking to make redundancies however did so without paying their outstanding wages, consulting with or giving adequate notice to, the affected members of staff. He lodged proceedings against the company and its administrators and were able to persuade the tribunal to order the highest available award in favour of all 37 claimants.
3. Stephen recently represented a claimant in an automatically unfair dismissal and whistleblowing claim. The claimant had only been employed by the company for a short period of time and therefore had very limited employment rights. However, he managed to persuade the tribunal that the reason for her dismissal was the complaints that she had raised to her manager and to CQC in relation to serious health and safety concerns. The tribunal found that the manager had been aware of the claimant’s complaints and had been instrumental in dismissing the claimant just days after she raised health and safety concerns. The claimant suffered financial loss and hardship as a result as well as significant injury to feelings. We used this to achieve a lucrative settlement in our client’s favour from her former employer.
What our clients say
"I was very happy with the service I received from Stephen, he ran me me through my agreement in a clear way explaining each step, and answering any questions I had. He suggested areas where the wording of the agreement could be changed to be more clear. Everything was made very clear to me and I was updated as promised throughout the whole process. I was very satisfied with the support I received and recommended the firm to one of my colleagues who needed the same service." - View from a satisfied client
"We would like to thank Stephen Woodhouse for his guidance in this matter and commend his tenacity in seeking to bring this issue to a successful conclusion. He communicated relevant information clearly which assisted us in making our decision based on sound facts. He was easily contactable throughout and returned calls promptly if required. We are extremely pleased with the service received from him and relieved this matter is now at an end." - View from a satisfied client
"I had the pleasure working with Mr. Stephen Woodhouse. He dealt with my case in a professional matter. Everything was done quick and without any problems. I like that he was concrete, clear on the payment, showed me different options with my case and communication with him was very good. I can definitely recommend your company to anyone in need of legal help!" - View from a satisfied client
"I wanted to add my thanks to Stephen Woodhouse who has supported me through what has been a challenging time. Stephen has been professional, supportive and informative. I would highly recommend his and the companies service should I happen to be in this position in the future. Excellent work and much appreciated." - View from a satisfied client
"I appointed Stephensons to help with a settlement agreement and from my very first conversation with Stephen Woodhouse I was impressed and felt I was in safe hands.
I would like to personally thank Stephen for his expertise, sound advice and professionalism throughout the whole process. He quickly negotiated an increase of almost 50% on the original settlement offer and speedily brought the issue to a very successful conclusion.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Stephensons." - View from a satisfied client
"Many thanks to Stephen for his guidance and getting my settlement turned around so quickly” - View from a satisfied client
"I really appreciated the professional advice from Stephen Woodhouse of Stephensons. He was very quick at picking up the important information while providing simple to understand advice which is appreciated when you have a lot to consider. Stephen was also very empathetic which I really appreciated in my own situation. I would highly recommend Stephensons!" - View from a satisfied client
"I just wanted to say thank you for your assistance with my settlement agreement during this difficult situation for me personally. I am pleased you were able to assist me in getting this resolved and the advice you provided throughout the process." - View from a satisfied client
"Stephen couldn't have been more helpful throughout the whole process and thankfully helped me to receive the money that was due to me. Thank you Stephen for all your hard work! " - View from a satisfied client
"The service and communication was excellent. Our solicitor did a very good job with negotiations. I would recommend the service to the highest standard." - View from a satisfied client