Carla is a senior associate solicitor in the clinical negligence department.
Carla joined Stephensons in February 2006 as a graduate paralegal in the clinical negligence department. She initially assisted the head of the department with her complex clinical negligence claims (mainly cerebral palsy claims). In September 2007, she was then given her own small caseload.
As soon as Carla started working on clinical negligence claims, she knew that she definitely wanted to become a solicitor and that clinical negligence would be the area that she specialised in. Carla subsequently began her training contract in March 2010 and qualified as a solicitor in the clinical negligence department in March 2012.
Carla is a member of the Law Society's Clinical Negligence Accreditation Scheme.
Clinical negligence claims can be quite complicated. You will know from when you have had medical treatment that the language doctors use is not always clear and you can sometimes be unsure about what treatment you need and why. Many of Carla's clients also have long-term health problems, which can make the whole process more stressful and confusing. Through her role as a solicitor she can help clients to understand the medical jargon, the medical treatment that they have received and help to ease any stress or confusion.
A lot of Carla's clients have not been told, or do not understand, what has happened with their medical treatment and why it has gone wrong. For some clients an explanation of what has happened is all that they are looking for. A key part of Carla's role is therefore trying to get her clients the answers that they deserve.
She also gets the opportunity to help people when they are going through difficult times in their lives. She listens to people’s problems and appreciates that as a result of poor medical treatment, clients can suffer from a variety of issues i.e. a change in their abilities, losing their job, difficulties paying their bills etc. Carla therefore believes that a key part of her job as a solicitor is to provide support to her clients and to try and get their lives back on track as much as possible.
Carla has a varied caseload dealing with claims concerning surgery, orthopaedics, gynaecology, delays in diagnosis, birth injuries and neurological injuries.
Cases of interest
- A cerebral palsy case arising out of the treatment that a newborn baby had received following birth. The case settled for approximately £4.4 million.
- A wrongful birth claim arising out of a failure to diagnose features on ultrasound scans that should have led to a diagnosis of a chromosome abnormality. The child had severe mental and physical disabilities. The case settled for £3.75 million.
- A cerebral palsy case arising out of treatment during labour and delivery. The case settled for approximately £4.1 million.
Since 2007, Carla has personally obtained around £2.7 million in compensation for her clients. The following are examples of some of her claims:
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £220,000 for a client who suffered a perforated bowel during a caesarean section.
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £165,000 for a delay in diagnosing a client’s pituitary tumour which caused a loss of vision.
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £150,000 for a client who suffered an undetected heart attack and minor brain injury following an operation at hospital.
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £105,000 for a client whose husband’s death, as a result of a hospital failing to act appropriately upon signs of infection, was avoidable.
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £120,000 for a client who was misdiagnosed with epilepsy, instead of a heart condition, for over 20 years.
- Carla settled a claim in the sum of £362,500 for a client who received inappropriate treatment for a spinal infection, which resulted in the infection spreading to their heart.
What others say
"Carla Duprey is ‘on the ball and very efficient’." - Legal 500, 2018
"Carla is ‘very caring and efficient’" - UK Legal 500, 2017
"I'm so pleased to have had the pleasure of being a client of Stephensons solicitors, Carla has been fantastic, Ive always had questions answered and always had things explained so I could understand, Carla and her assistant hollie have always been polite, caring, and kept me updated all the time, very professional and i really couldn't of asked for better. Carla is lovely and understanding." - View from a satisfied client
“For several years Carla was the main point of contact and became the font of knowledge in our case. Her approachability, listening skills and speed of reacting in a sometimes fast moving and complex case are a credit to your company.”
"Stephensons, especially Carla, have been excellent thought out my negligence case. Making sure that I am updated in the progress of the claim and also that I understand everything that I have been told. Over the past 2-3 years they have been very helpful and I couldn't have asked for better solicitors and I was successful in my clinical negligence claim. Thank you Stephensons."