Stephensons Trustpilot stars
Based on count 1359
View all reviews

Auction property- London conveyancing

Purchasing a property at auction rather than through a traditional estate agent buying process brings a unique set of challenges that can seem quite daunting, especially if this is something you’ve never done before. In London’s auction property market, which is just as fast-paced as the conventional home buying sector in the city, there are additional factors that need to be taken into account if you make a successful bid.

It’s essential to be as prepared as possible before the auction itself, having familiarised yourself with the property’s legal pack and any potential issues that this raises. Expert auction property conveyancing will be needed to assist with the legal aspects of the buying process and help you to meet the completion deadline, which is usually 28 days after the auction itself.

Get in touch with our specialist auction conveyancing solicitor team to find out more by calling 0161 696 6187.

loading staff

What to consider when buying property at auction

Speed is very much of the essence to ensure all of the legal requirements for the purchase are fulfilled before the deadline, as you risk losing your 10% deposit if you fail to complete at this point, as well as losing the chance to continue with buying the property. Purchasing a property at auction is legally binding (essentially the same point as the ‘exchange of contracts’ in a conventional home purchase) and you are legally committed to the purchase as soon as the hammer falls.

If you are using a mortgage to fund some of the purchase, it’s important to have everything in place before you bid, with a lender that is happy for you to borrow on an auction property.

The importance of the legal pack shouldn’t be understated when you’re buying a home at auction, as there can often be special conditions of sale that can ultimately be very costly or prevent you from doing what you want with the property, so you must ensure that you know about these before bidding. The same goes for potential issues with the legal title, environmental concerns or any problems with a lease, if applicable.

A good auction conveyancing solicitor will be happy to help you review the legal pack for a property that you are considering bidding for ahead of the auction, as they can spot things that you might not in the paperwork available from the vendor.

With the 10% deposit due on auction day and the remaining 90% usually required within 28 days, the outstanding conveyancing requirements need to be completed efficiently, which is best done by those with both knowledge of the auction property market, and experience in dealing with the challenging auction timeline for these properties.

Why choose Stephensons for auction property conveyancing in London?

Stephensons have a highly experienced conveyancing team with essential knowledge of not just the auction conveyancing process, but also the London property sector, helping to ensure that all of the necessary due diligence is done before the auction, as well as all of the essential legal work to complete the transaction within deadline.

With a proven track record of helping many auction property buyers with what can be a daunting and complex process, we offer specialist legal support you can trust.

Get in touch to find out more by calling 0161 696 6187.

4.5out of 10
4.5 score on Trustpilot Based on count 1359

We're Great

It is our business to deliver legal services that work for our clients, and you can trust our specialists to take care of things on your behalf.

Our Trustpilot reviews

What are the stamp duty changes and how will they affect me?

Last year, the government introduced a stamp duty holiday in an attempt to keep the property market moving through the lockdown. The changes meant that some homebuyers were able to to benefit from a £500,000 tax-free threshold, up from £125,000...

Read more

Twitter block 1 tweet

SolicitorsLLP

Family solicitors brace for rise in exes battling over their children getting COVID-19 vaccination

With COVID-19 vaccinations set to be offered to 12- to 15-yeard old’s, family solicitors from a leading UK law firm are anticipating a surge in divorced and separated parents disagreeing on vaccinating their children. “This is...

Read more

Staff reorder - conveyancing

  • David Baybut
  • Natalie Bradley​
  • ​Michelle Stevens
  • Natalie Waddington
  • Gillian Cooke
  • Rebecca Fletcher
  • Kim Parr
  • Noel Davies
  • Stacey Finney
  • Kim Wilson
  • Karis Loxham
  • Kate Williams
  • Kate McDonough​
  • Alison Fanning
  • Natalie Penman
  • Jenny Prescott
  • Stefanie Sherlock