Main purpose of the job:
To support and assist fee earners in carrying out duties and, where appropriate, to deal with clients and their affairs in a cost effective manner.
Main key result areas:
- Assisting fee earners with case progression;
- Attending clients to take instructions and advising where appropriate;
- Drafting simple wills, attending clients to execute wills;
- Drafting documents – oaths, lasting powers of attorney, deeds and simple trusts.
- Dealing with applications for grants of representation
- Assisting fee earners with preparation of inheritance tax returns, payment of inheritance tax and HMRC enquiries;
- Preparing estate accounts and dealing with estate distribution to beneficiaries;
- Maintaining accurate data on case management and spreadsheets for external referrers.
- Control and management of work in progress ensuring that it is recorded and converted into paid profit costs under supervision and direction. Effective management of own time ensuring that non chargeable and chargeable hours targets are met under supervision and guidance
- Carrying out administrative duties as appropriate.
- Compliance with client care and complaints procedures in order to minimise the risk of negligence and comply with Law Society rules.
Law degree with a minimum 2:1, or relevant work experience
Legal practice course
Experience of working in or studying the relevant legal field
Knowledge and skills
Ability to demonstrate an interest in the area of Wills & probate
Good standard of computer literacy
Organisation and time management skills
Excellent communication skills both face to face and over the telephone.
Solicitors accounts rules
Stephensons clients complaints rules and client care procedures
Knowledge of litigation
Knowledge of up to date legislation
Knowledge of case management systems
Personality / Other Qualities
Discretion and ability to work in a confidential environment
Pleasant, approachable, patient, polite
Ability to work amidst frequent interruptions
Adaptability and flexibility
Ability to work as part of a team
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.