Matthew joined Stephensons in 2015 in the commercial law team specialising in trade finance and debt recovery.
Matthew qualified as a solicitor in 1985 and was a partner in Wilde and Partners before joining Kingsford Stacey Blackwell in 2001. He was a co-founder of M&D Law.
Matthew specialises in trade finance and debt recovery and has developed an international debt recovery practice. He has decades of experience in factoring and invoice discounting, debt recovery both domestic and international, client failure work, taking and enforcing securities, commercial litigation and insolvency.
He is EuroCollectNet’s sole representative for England and Wales and is on EuroCollectNet’s management committee.
Matthew is a member of the Chartered Institute of Credit Management.
Areas of specialism
- Trade finance: factoring, invoice discounting and asset based lending covering both customer and client facing issues, fraud, freezing orders, asset recovery, collect outs
- Commercial litigation/dispute resolution/mediation
- Debt recovery both domestic and international
- Taking and enforcing guarantees – see leading case of Coghlan v SH Lock which dealt with the construction of guarantees
- Insolvency: Appointments, Directors’ Loan Accounts, breach of directors’ duties, preference and transactions at undervalue, winding up, bankruptcy, collect outs
Coghlan v SH Lock (Privy Council) – construction of guarantees.
"I have known Matthew for many years, the quality of his advice has always been excellent and I have no hesitation in recommending him." - Nick O'Reilly