We have an exciting opportunity which we are able to open up at graduate level within our Community Care & Court of Protection Team. Working within this team you will have the opportunity to work in a busy and fast paced environment whilst getting involved in cutting edge legal work. The role will be based within our Wigan Investment Centre Office and will be predominantly dealing with welfare and medical treatment cases in the High Court and the Court of Protection, although there will also be the opportunity to deal with judicial review proceedings. The cases will often involve Human Rights elements and highly sensitive matters of wider public interest.
Main purpose of the job:
Providing support to a small team of solicitors who advise, assist and represent family members and litigation friends, including the Official Solicitor (on behalf of a person lacking mental capacity to conduct the proceedings) in Court of Protection and judicial review applications. This role will include attendance at court with a solicitor or counsel and will involve travel across the North West.
Main key result areas
- Attending and advising clients in order to obtain initial instructions, setting up new files and completion of all relevant paperwork in order to assist the solicitor in both potential judicial review and highly sensitive Court of Protection (welfare and medical disputes) cases.
- Assisting with the preparation of bundles, trial bundles and associated documentation, preparing instructions to counsel and liaising with counsel and court clerks, undertaking relevant research in respect of each individual claim, assisting with preparation of documentation in the course of judicial review and Court of Protection proceedings for the purpose of progressing cases and complying with directions Orders.
- Completion of applications for Legal Aid on the CCMS system and invoicing of privately paid work.
- Liaising with (if appropriate) the Official Solicitor, the court and all relevant parties in Court of Protection cases.
- Attending at court with solicitors/counsel in judicial review and Court of Protection hearings.
- Assisting solicitors in progressing cases and effective case management, including (but not exclusively), arranging and attending conferences, research, responding to post, telephone enquiries and queries from clients, other professionals/experts, colleagues and the Legal Aid Agency in order to progress cases effectively and efficiently.
- Control and adequate management of work in progress, ensuring that it is recorded and converted into paid profit costs under supervision and direction and effective monitoring of costs limitations on publically funded work. Effective management of own time, ensuring non/chargeable and chargeable hours targets are met under supervision and guidance.
- Compliance with client care and complaints procedures in order to minimise the risk of negligence and comply with Law Society rules.
- Carry out administrative duties as appropriate.
Law degree (ideally at 2.1 or above) or relevant work experience
Current clean full driving license with access to a car
Experience of Court of Protection/judicial review proceedings
Experience of working with vulnerable clients
Experience of working with CCMS
Knowledge and skills
Good standard of computer literacy
Organisation and time management skills
Excellent communication skills both face to face and over the telephone
The ability to deal with difficult and distressed clients and manage expectations effectively
Relevant up to date legislatory knowledge
Ability to work as part of a team and independently with direction
Adaptability and flexibility
Stephensons clients complaints rules and client care procedures
Solicitors accounts rules
Personality / Other Qualities
Ability to work amidst frequent interruptions
Discretion and ability to work in a confidential work environment under pressure
Working under time orientated pressure
Ability to analyse issues and identify key points; providing a detailed case action plan and reporting back to solicitor as appropriate
Approachable, patient and friendly
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.