Main purpose of the job:
To support and assist fee earners in progressing Commercial Property files and where appropriate to deal with clients and their affairs in an effective and professional manner under direct supervision.
Main key result areas:
- Responding to post and telephone enquiries from clients, other professionalsexperts and colleagues where appropriate.
- Assisting Solicitors in the department in progressing cases with reviewing and approving titles, raising enquiries, drafting documents, preparing and submitting land registry applications and preparing completion statements.
- Attending and advising clients in cases, where appropriate and under supervision
- To understand and operate the Firm’s systems in order to update client details and prepare all relevant documentation
- Control and Management of Work in Progress ensuring that it is recorded and converted into paid Profit Costs. Effectively managing own time, ensuring that nonchargeable and chargeable hours targets are met under supervision and guidance.
- Working on files as appropriate, including (but not exclusively) drafting letters, preparing contracts and reports and to-do/diary lists.
- Carrying out administrative duties as appropriate including (but not exclusively) updating information, paying invoices, closing files, clearing balances. Assists fee earners in billing and providing bill breakdowns and works with accounts following correct procedures to ensure accuracy of the bills
- Compliance with Client Care and Complaints Procedures in order to minimise the risk of negligence and comply with Law Society Rules
5 GCSE at grade C or above, or equivalent. Relevant work experience can be considered as an alternative
Working towards a relevant qualification
Experience of working within a commercial property or residential conveyancing legal team
Experience of using a case management system
Experience of time recording
Knowledge and skills
Good standard of computer literacy
Adaptability and flexibility
Time management skills
Good telephone manner
Demonstrates a confident, professional and pro active manner in order to ensure work is dealt with effectively
Solicitors accounts rules
Stephensons Client Complaints Rules and Client Care Procedures
Source providers contractual terms
Legal accounts knowledge, reading ledgers
Basic costings knowledge
Personality / Other Qualities
Discretion and ability to work in a confidential environment
Ability to take responsibility for their own work
Pleasant Approachable, patient, polite
Ability to work amidst frequent interruptions whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
Ability to be flexible to suit the needs of the Dept
Shows an interest in the legal profession and in developing their career within a law firm
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.