Main purpose of the job:
Manage a varied case load of Wills and probate matters including preparation of Wills, lasting powers of attorney, trusts including personal injury trusts, Court of Protection matters and estate planning.
Main key result areas
- Attending and advising clients in areas of probate and Wills.
- Managing a case load including a full risk assessment of all matters, ensuring compliance with Law Society rules and work type procedures.
- Responding to post, telephone enquiries and queries from clients, other professionals/experts and colleagues in order to progress cases effectively and efficiently.
- Control and management of work in progress ensuring that it is recorded and converted into paid profit costs.
- Effective management of own time, ensuring that non chargeable and chargeable hours targets are achieved.
- Ensuring that disbursements and debtors in the case load are managed in order to reduce the financial exposure of the firm.
- Compliance with client care and complaints procedures.
- To report any potential errors/negligence matters to the work type managing partner as soon as the risk is apparent.
- To delegate effectively and efficiently, ensuring that work on the file is carried out at the right level, thus maximising profitability and assisting the development of other staff.
- To actively seek opportunities to cross refer work within the firm and to carry out cross referrals at the earliest possible time.
- To actively promote the Stephensons brand at all times.
- To undertake the above in accordance with the firm’s Equality & Diversity Policy.
- Keeping abreast of relevant legislation and keeping CPD requirements updated.
STEP qualification either through qualified practitioner route or diploma
Member of solicitors for the elderly
Experience of managing a wills and probate caseload (including taxable estates and post-death variations) together with experience of Court of Protection
(Non-contentious) cases including acting as, or assisting, a professional deputy and making other applications to the Court of Protection (such as for a statutory Will)
Experience of drafting and implementing trusts (as part of estate planning strategies and/or following injury litigation settlements)
Experience working with case management computer systems
Knowledge and skills
Up to date knowledge of relevant legislation
Excellent IT and keyboard skills
Good working knowledge of solicitors accounts rules
Time management/organisational skills
Stephensons’ client complaints rules and client care procedures
Experience of handling cases from external referrers (such as accountants, independent financial advisers and/or referrers where external SLA arrangements are required to be followed)
Personality / Other Qualities
Ability to be flexible to suit the needs of the department
Discretion and be able to work in a confidential environment (the environment is largely open plan)
Pleasant, approachable, patient and polite
Ability to remain calm under pressure
Thrives on challenge
Ability to demonstrate an interest in progressing in the field of probate work and assisting the department managers and managing partner of the work-type, where necessary, to promote the interests of the department with regard to potential external referrers
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.