Main purpose of the job:
To support and assist fee earners in carrying out duties and, where appropriate, to deal with clients and their affairs in a cost effective manner.
Family department manager
Main key result areas
- Attending and advising clients where appropriate.
- Assisting fee earners in the department in effective case management, including (but not exclusively) drafting pleadings, statements, instructions to counsel, letters of instruction, court applications and accompanying documents and correspondence; preparing bundles; undertaking legal help assessments; preparing funding documents and bills; progressing to-do/diary lists and requesting and filing relevant documents.
- Responding to post, telephone enquiries and queries from clients, social workers, other professionalsexperts, other solicitors and colleagues, where appropriate.
- Arranging and attending conferences with counsel; undertaking advocacy and attendance at hearings where appropriate; attending advocates meetings, case conferences and PLO meetings, where appropriate.
- Control and management of work in progress ensuring that it is recorded and converted into paid profit costs under supervision and direction.
- Effective management of own time ensuring that non chargeable and chargeable hours targets are met under supervision and guidance.
- Carrying out administrative duties as appropriate.
- Compliance with client care and complaints procedures in order to minimise the risk of negligence and comply with law society rules.
- To act in accordance with the firm’s equality and diversity policy
Law degree (ideally 2.1 or above) or relevant work experience
Legal Practice Course
Experience of working in family law
Experience of using case management systems
Knowledge and skills
Good standard of computer literacy
Ability to demonstrate a genuine interest in family work
Very strong organisation and time management skills
Excellent communication skills both face to face and over the telephone
Solicitors Accounts Rules
Stephensons Clients Complaints Rules and Client Care Procedures
Knowledge of family work
Knowledge of up to date legislation
Knowledge of case management systems
Personality / Other Qualities
Discretion and ability to work in a confidential environment
Pleasant, approachable, patient, polite
Ability to work amidst frequent interruptions
Adaptability and flexibility generally and in terms of hours
Stamina, energy and resilience
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.