Main purpose of the job:
To assist in providing a costings service to the Firm, which enables departments to have their files properly finished and billed and those bills submitted to the relevant bodies for payment.
Department manager / fee earner
Main key result areas
- Carries out digital audio and copy typing ensuring it is completed accurately and efficiently
- Responding to post, telephone enquiries and queries from clients, other professional/experts, colleagues and third party representatives where appropriate, ensuring accurate messages are taken
- Maintains an accurate diary system to ensure that no dates and deadlines are missed. Organises appointments, arranges and books meetings, professionals meetings, conferences, etc.
- Opening files, assisting clients, undertaking effective case management and working on files as appropriate, including but not exclusively drafting correspondence, court documents, instructions to counsel and funding applications.
- Responsible for billing, carries out general administrative duties such as updating information, processing payments/paying invoices, closing files and clearing balances. As well maintaining an accurate paperless filing system.
- Effective management of own time, ensuring that non chargeable and chargeable hours targets are met under supervision and guidance
- Compliance with client care and complaints procedures in order to minimise the risk of negligence and comply with law society rules.
Minimum qualifications 5 GCSE’s or equivalent at Grade C or above including English and maths (relevant work experience can be considered as an alternative).
Secretarial/paralegal qualification or working towards
Experience in a legal secretarial role
Experience within a family worktype
Experience of using case management systems
Experience of digital dictation
Experience of time recording
Experience of billing
Knowledge and skills
Organisational and time management skills
Good standard of computer literacy, audio and copy typing skills
Excellent telephone manner and communication skills at all levels both face to face and over the telephone
Excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive relationships
Ability to work amidst frequent interruptions whilst maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
Knowledge of department procedures
Personality / Other Qualities
Discretion and the ability to work in a highly confidential environment
Pleasant, approachable, patient and polite
Professional, confident and approachable manner showing tact and diplomacy at all times
Ability to be flexible to suit the needs of the department and willing to assist as and when needed
Ability to work as part of a team but be able to work under own initiative and to take responsibility for the duties
Adopts a proactive and positive attitude to the role
Please do not send enquiries to the department manager of the specific team.