News and Events

Help with winter heating bills

  • Posted
Help with winter heating bills

As the cold snap arrives many will faced with the mounting energy costs. For many, winter can be a difficult and costly time of the year.  However, the good news is that there is help available especially to those who are elderly, vulnerable or on low incomes.

Cold Weather Payment

If you are in receipt of certain benefits you could be eligible for a payment when the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for seven consecutive days. The 2016 to 2017 Cold Weather Payment scheme is due to start on 1 November 2016. You’ll be able to check if your area is due a payment in November 2016.

You’ll get a payment of £25 for each seven day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 May 1953. 

Most payments are made automatically between November and December. You should get your money by Christmas.

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

If you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to apply for the payment.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You could get £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. For more information, see

Payment towards a new boiler

You can also get up to £1,000 towards the replacement of your boiler. See or

Grants available for energy debts

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get secure a grant to help pay for it.

The following energy manage schemes open to customers and the wider public alike:

  • British Gas Energy Trust
  • EDF Energy Trust
  • E.on Energy Fund

The below are available to existing clients only:

  • npower Energy Fund
  • Scottish Power Hardship Fund
  • Ovo Energy Fund
  • SSE (Southern Electric) Priority Assistance Fund

You can also get help from an adviser at your local Citizens Advice.