This week’s Emergency Budget was awaited by businesses with baited breath and the results received a mixed response.
In brief, here is a breakdown of the key changes which are likely to affect your business:
- VAT will increase from 17.5% to 20% from January 4th 2011
- The small companies' tax rate will be cut to 20%
- Personal income tax allowance will increase by £1,000 in April to £7,475 taking around 880,000 of the lowest-paid workers out of income tax altogether
- Entrepreneurs setting up new businesses outside London, the Southeast and East of England will be exempt from £5,000 of National Insurance for the first 10 staff they hire
- Capital Gains Tax rose at midnight on Tuesday from 18% to 28% for higher rate taxpayers and entrepreneur’s relief rate of 10% on the first £2million of gains will be extended to the first £5million
- From April 2011, the threshold at which employers start to pay National Insurance will rise by the rate of inflation plus £21 per week
- Corporation Tax will be cut next year to 27%, and by 1% annually for the next three years, until it reaches 24%.